11/7/14

I have a midwestern accent!

My favorite comment of late is taralinda's on the last post letting me know I have a midwestern accent. Who knew? Almost all American sounds the same to me, except for Southern and, like, Boston which I can barely distinguish from New York Marfia.

Hey lets look at some stuff I made, shall we? For a change?
I'm psyched about the chain I made here cuz I hammered it then coated it all in solder for a softer rounder look to the links. Idk, I think it's neato.
Plus how I just love a graduated stack of special beads as a pendant. Tho from last batch the one that caught everyone's eye was the lariat with the birdie you buncha pansies.
I haven't been at all productive lately, not like my usual whirlwind-of-makies self. 
However I did manage to drag my ass to Home Depot (Depott as my mom says) and get another big table for my cluttered studio. So maybe if I do video a "studio tour" as requested in comments, it won't include the floor! Tho really it'll just be "Here's this table full of junk, and now here's this table full of junk.... over here is where I keep this junk..."

This medal is so precious (raved about it in my last Uru-haul post) that I had to keep the necklace that featured it really simple.




But duuuuuude! Look at it!!! It's for some kind of girl's school and I paid $25 for it which in Uruguay is a small fortune. And I'm gonna stick it in my shop and no one's gonna buy it as usual and I'm just gonna feel grumpy and pointless. Then I'll decide not to be such a putz and realize that in this neckpiece a chunk of history has found a lovely home and I should just get over my self....
I know I should be doing craft fairs and shit but it's soooo much work, so much more than my little brain can handle. If I had a buddy to do it with me and hold my hand through the process... le sigh...
This lariat looks like two necklaces layered together. I worked my stupid ass off to achieve this stupid balance.
I love this triple wrist wrap bracelet/necklace so much I can't pick just one picture.
So you're just gonna have to suffer through five pictures. Click for bigs.
 Fact is, I really love all the crap I make til it sits and festers in the shop.
I sell a lot, I just only see the things I don't sell, and I see those daily. What do you guys do with stuff that doesn't sell? I know, I should take it down and re-make it. But also, lots of times things that are good as art aren't necessarily wearable as jewelry. So then what? Just keep it in your own personal collection? I guess it's just my urge to get rid of things, unburden myself of possessions that gets me all worked up.
New topic- I'm trying out different poly techniques for a short tute I'm mulling over, so I ended up making all these little disco balls and thought I'd make simple earrings- hopefully less expensive, etc. 

Though my attempts to make simple, less expensive, more sellable stuff always ends up being still way too expensive, etc.

And I still do have all these little special but homeless bits that I inevitably end up adding which will raise the price.
And then I think of the time I put in...
And etc.
We all know the pricing dance, a.k.a. "The adventures of my yo-yoing self esteem."
But on the other hand, I recently got a white noise machine and I sleep like a newborn.
And my other new obsession is The Moth Radio Hour where strangers get up and tell the most amazing true stories of their lives. I listen to it while making or what not and end up afterwards narrating my life as if I were telling it in front of an audience. And I end up all impressed with myself like, "I should put that in my blog!" Then immediately forget it all.
Til all I can think to say is, "Duh.... Here's some more caged earrings for you to look at if you would like to look at it. Or don't, I'm good."
It's fine cuz I'm gonna take my spinning class tonight in like a half hour and get wuper high off endorphins. And then I'll be bouncing off the walls with giddy joy and bugging Mr. Devices while he's trying to chill like, "Oh and then she was all, 'you're gonna race your neighbor!' and I was all sweaty and the front row started hooting and woooing which they do I don't know why but I wish we did it in Zumba it's fun and then she played this song and it was so good though I know you hate that kind of music but I love it but where he says 'They gon take me for ransom/Cuz I'm young and I'm rich and I'm handsome,' cuz of his accent I thought he was saying 'awesome' instead of 'handsome' isntthatfunny?andthenIdidplanks! Andthisbigmuscleguywassayinghelovedmyhair! AndIwasallthanksIdoitmyself! AndIwaslookingatthemirrormyassissoflat!" etc. And he'll be like, "Ok, sweetie, let me watch this." Or worse he'll try to share what he's watching- some Uruguay soccer game on his phone lord have mercy.
The Wraith. Victorian Tribal dollhouse assemblage.What am I babbling about? This necklace has been won by: Rebecca Silberman! Convo me.
Now look at this amazing image I found on Tumblr. Now look at these goats.

Now look down, now look at me, Old Spice for Men.
The Old Spice Guy - LOOK AT ME, … NOW LOOK AT THESE NACHOS

7 comments:

Jiorji said...

oh another table!
to me another table just means "more space to be cluttery on" much to my mom's horrified look >:D

Rebecca S. said...

Thank you Fanci, for drawing my name for the necklace! I remember when you listed this and linked to the Alt J song about Taro and Capa. I read that post like a hundred times and listened to that link. And sent it to everyone. The necklace has an uncanny connection to the song. I love it. And all the girls who have your stuff wear it before big events where they need luck. They are more than jools, they are magical amulets...

Beatnheart said...

i read ...i fall in love with you all over again...


happy for Rebecca S and her magical necklace...how cool that the right person got it....

little bouncing goats...loved them too...


RomAntiqueSoul said...

WOW! I really love those poly beads (and earrings of course)! And of course I love the caged earrings (trying to figure out how to make some myself w/o being too much of a copy cat ;-)

I know what you mean about the pricing stuff...I have so many antiques I've collected that I still have not used, because I'm so frightened of knowing the price I should charge...then I love real gemstones, so...it really is a recipe for high pricing :-/ throw in the metal-smithing I'm doing and BAM! I feel like I will never sell *sigh*

On other notes...Is Uruguay 50% Italian? I see so many medals you use that have Italian writing...just curious...

CraftyHope said...

You make me want to go to a spinning class. . .wait, that can't be right. . .
I've seen those goats before and they just make me giddy. Thanks for that!

Jennifer Valentine Morford said...

Your posts always make me smile...
Thank you.
Xoxo

Bell Lane Studio said...

Thank you for the goats. You are my hero.