3/7/14

Stink pretty, comment lovely.

Sharon Driscoll wrote, "My Grandfather used to tell me when I had perfume on, 'You stink pretty.' He was Russian."
ZOMG! That's the cutest thing ever.
(Finally a pic I liked of this guy.)
Anvil Artifacts commented that my, "low sitting bumps seem absolutely wonderful," and she didn't mean my boobs! I gotta start calling my parents 'my low-sitting bumps'.
Sparrow"I have been commenting here for like ever and I only just noticed it says 'participaNtion' above the comment box. I'm not wearing pants;" 
Thank you for both those informative pieces of data. I have fixed the first but am leaving the second to you.
Professor Rebecca wrote, "Well, thanks for the big plug, Fanci! Of course I knew you could find stuff looking though Google...just didn't realize how easy it was for students to cruise the Flickr account that I set up to show YOU a couple of things! I have been LOVING the discussions about making and how we view ourselves--whether we use the artist label or not. Honestly, I have never felt more connected or encouraged by a conversation that what you have gotten started here...I love all your peeps!"
I forgot she set up that flickr just to show me some stuff cuz I kept pestering her for pictures! You know how hard it is to get pictures from photographers... ? Everyone was amazed at her gorgeous house. I only afterward remembered that it was an abandoned schoolhouse that they moved into I think when they had no money and turned into that. I KNOW!
lisa mitchell, "Hey, that was when DANCING with your BUTT still had some DIGNITY to it! " I recently read that if you don't know how to dance, just spell your name out with your butt. 
I put everything and the kitchen sink in this piece, it'll have to be another expensive necklace in my shop that never sells. But who cares I love it. There was that plate of rhinestone and metal decoration on the front of this Kathyhaul perfume bottle that was simply glued on. I popped it off, soldered two strips of copper foil around the bottle then soldered the decorative piece to that. Then I found a bunch of sorta similarly colored beads and made this crazy big topper. So the rest of the piece had to be crazy big too. And that's a pre-Columbian spindle bead there, also the melon ones are ancient African stone, there's Nepalese coral and just all kinds of things. Didn't hold back a thing.
So let's all stare at yet another photo of it for no real reason! 
Wendy B. said, "I am gonna out myself. I have been reading your blog from now and then back to the beginning-ish. Watching your progression through it all has been so much fun. I also learned more than my fair share of how to do something solving problems I was unwilling to tackle. So a big fat thank you for all of that. And I never let you know how many times iI wanted to say something... starting with thank you, but did not." 
Practically made me cry! No really guys, something like that is so wonderful. Thank you Wendy for letting me know that is so so sweet.
 This is a necklace from Patroness which she wanted missing stones replaced on and stuff. I realized a lot of stones weren't actually missing, but they'd been replaced with clear ones so you couldn't see them.
I colored them in with alcohol inks. Then I toned down the bright blue of the top beading and gave it all a bunch of oxidizing. When its a big thing like this, I tend to want to dip-oxidize. For that I mix my jax with water. I always forget that when you do that and let it air dry you get verdigris! But she'll like that I'm sure. So I'm going to give it a good spray with matte fixative outside so it doesn't all rub right off on her. (Edit: I only found spray shellac which darkened all the verdigris anyways.)
 Made her some bracelets with more of her singular items.
 Look at this little pin.
I connected it by pinning it to a scrap of tin that I shaped to keep it in place.


Side view.

  Here's another one. The piece right in the middle was also a pin. I tried the same method but it kept slipping and not staying centered on the tin.
I ended up cutting off the brooch bits on the back and punching thru the tin.

I stitched some thin wire through then sorta tucked the ends in there.

You can see a few stitches right at the center.

This was an ancient bell that I managed to break the ring right off of.  Drilling down straight was not working so I laid my dremel bit sideways in the nook made by what remained of the broken off ring.


Since none of that made any sense I decided to very professionally illustrate it here. Figure 1 shows the ring that broke off. Figure 2 is my dremel bit laid across the nook. Idk, dremeling is a terrible way to make holes unless we're talking wood or plastic. These ancient bits lasted til now cuz they're made of steel and steel's a bitch to drill.

I made a thick steel wire into a sort of eye pin shape and threaded it through my hole from the inside, then made a little link.
This last bit was also a archeological find. I had to hammer the hell out of it thought cuz it was flat. It bugs me when people use flat components in bracelets.

Look at how much better you can see it from this angle.
Meanwhile the Midwest tries to dig itself out of this polarbeartex like:

8 comments:

gretchen nation said...

genius way to attach the pins! I'm guessing that could also work for buttons. You rock.
I am crazy over the tumbler house/studio pictures! Just creative inspiration from floor to ceiling. Thanks so much to both of you for sharing.

Willow Studio said...

That "Kitchen Sink" piece is quite something...glad you took so many pics so we could really see it.

The mini tutorials you share about how you managed to do the things you do are always fascinating.

THANK YOU, for sharing so generously.

Unknown said...

oh là là!!! Love all those newbies... the kitchen sinker is AMAZING. I may have to rob a bank or something.

Mardi said...

Every time you post you leave me awestruck. These pieces are beyond wonderful, and thanks so much for the tips. Now I want to run to play with my bits and pieces and see what I can do. I especially love the bottle. Genius!!!

Miss R said...

I actually said out loud "whoa" when I scrolled down and saw the Kitchen Sink piece. WOWza. Find me a fella to marry and I'd wear that to the wedding.

I had a co-worker from Poland who said "This is SOCKS!" whenever something went wrong at work. One day, I agreed with her, saying "Yeah it totally sucks." And she was like, wait what? Turns out, she thought she was saying just that the whole time. I like her version better!

Wendy B. said...

i hope you never get something clean and neat and ready to attach easily. your solutions to affixing the unexpected into 'fanci constructions' keeps messing with my mind. it is always more interesting and super-clever than anyone could ever see. yet, it is always an in.cred.i.ble solution. seriously. so unexpected and purposeful simultaneously. amazing. thank you. i feel so stuck these days (polar vortex hibernation in progress), and your willingness to color outside the lines is a good model to thaw my stuckness with.

Jennifer Valentine Morford said...

Extraordinary.
As always!
Xo

Jennifer Valentine Morford said...

Extrsorfinary!
Its aftrr 1 a.m. and i csny find my gkasses, so yiu get wgar yoi get but i wanted yoi to know i was here. Love yiu!